Thursday, February 10, 2011

Egyptian Unrest

By Dana Muntean

Maybe because my previous analysis was focused on the Arab World, I was looking for articles that reveal facts about the same topic, in order to have a better understanding of the issue and to enrich my own perspective. The article from the Economist describes well the consequences of the two weeks of unrest in Egypt and brings to the table the possible outcomes for the whole region.

Now Egyptian businesses come back to life and peaceful protests continue. There are listed and described the Mr Suleiman’s concessions that are intended to meet nearly all the protesters’ demands. I wished I could read more about the primary goals of the young protesters. Are they driven by economic or political considerations?

While reading the part about the role of social media in mobilizing people to participate in protests, I had a déjà-vu. The first think that came to my mind was the Twitter Revolution in Moldova. Because I was part of it, I understand how difficult is to promote your ideals in this turmoil of events. Hopefully, the Egyptian sick and tired youth will succeed more than we did in defending their human rights after the end of protests.

My dear friends, how real seems to you, the scenario for Egypt to become an Islamic state?

Will Mubarak step down?

Could Mohamed ElBaradei have enough support to become the new president?

What are your predictions for the Egypt's future, and consequently, for the whole region?


2 comments:

  1. Murabak has been pressured to step down, and I am glad for the people who feel more free now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the way people build their future and national welfare. You desire a change and something better defend your ideal and step forward because everything in this life is a fight. Mubarak resigned but will this help Egypt? Hopefully the situation will get into its normal course.

    ReplyDelete