Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh Baby!

I read this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12276623 and I was really surprised. Is this healthy for the babies? There has been no information on how safe this practice is.
I wonder what led to this practice happening, as it's not something that's been scientifically proven. At the same time though, many cultural practices in different countries and cultures have not been "scientifically proven" or are practices that have been admonished by Western/ developed (but still developed with Western standards) countries. For example, coining is a traditional South East Asian and Chinese tradition. In order to release excess wind causing colds and aches, a coin is rubbed with tiger balm or a balm of the sort and rubbed against the sing. The abrasive technique is not really accepted in the U.S., with teachers often mistaking students with coin-marks to be victims of child abuse. While this technique is not as questionable as the Dynamic Baby Gymnastics, it points to the issue of cultural divide. For the Russians involved in this technique, was it a continuing tradition within the family? Although I question this technique as well, I don't want to be hasty in shutting down the idea. I want to know more about what process is involved and what the health benefits and risks are.

I managed to track a video of this practice (I was honestly nervous) but I can't dismiss the practice without the proper evidence. Nevertheless, I was scared that the baby's arms were going to be ripped off.

Video: http://www.guzer.com/videos/baby-gymnastics-or-child-abuse.php

Posted by Saya

No comments:

Post a Comment